POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Looking to the Sun : Re: Looking to the Sun Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:10:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Looking to the Sun
From: Edouard
Date: 20 Mar 2009 16:50:00
Message: <web.49c400dbaa0d6de0617fb3dd0@news.povray.org>
"sooperFoX" <bon### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> "Edouard" <pov### [at] edouardinfo> wrote:
> >   - LightMapGen 16 sample median-cut lightdome, plus one hand-placed Sun light
> > (no radiosity).
>
> This is the second time you've mentioned this. I had a look at the utility and
> it sounds useful. Do you have a technique for loading the output it produces
> into POV-Ray? I can imagine it getting quite tedious to hand-convert even
> "just" 16 lights every time to try a new probe...
>
> I understand that the first 3 values are in radians; the first being elevation
> and the second azimuth, the third is the angular area the sample occupies. The
> remaining 3 values make up the RGB value of the sample.
>
> But is there a way to read/parse the probemap.lm file directly into POV or do I
> have to convert them into lights by hand?

I wish POV had a more general file reading API, then we could read the files
directly...

What I did was write a macro that reads a comma-separated version of the .lm
file, as it was a easy search and replace operation to convert it into a file
POV could read.

I'll see if I can get in into a postable shape!

> I like your probe, too, by the way. And as others have said, nice work on
> texturing the model!

Thank-you!