POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Looking to the Sun : Looking to the Sun Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:09:20 EDT (-0400)
  Looking to the Sun
From: Edouard
Date: 20 Mar 2009 07:55:00
Message: <web.49c3831b4d777143617fb3dd0@news.povray.org>
Same old Jotero Ajax bust as always!

  - 200mm lens at f/4 shot from about 1.7 meters away.
  - HDR lightprobe I took a couple of evenings ago in nearby field.
  - LightMapGen 16 sample median-cut lightdome, plus one hand-placed Sun light
(no radiosity).
  - Simple texture_map with three entries (shiny, dull and corroded).
  - DF3 based proximity pattern (along with slope and bozo) to choose the
texture via a pigment_map.
  - focal blur only used 7 samples. I could have bumped that to 37, but I wanted
to see the results today, not tomorrow :-)

I guess the interesting technique (to me at least) was writing a seperate pov
script to analysed the mesh and create the image slices that got combined into
the DF3 file. This one used a 60x90x60 DF3 file created with 25 samples per
voxel. You pay for a one-off creation time, but then get to use the DF3 file
from then on (and it loads more or less instantly). It possibly might render
quicker than an averaged fastprox pattern, but I'm not really sure.

The background is just a bit of the sky from the lightprobe - with a bit of
focal blur it came out looking nice even though the lightprobe resolution is
pretty low.

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, but any feedback anyone has would be of
course welcomed.

Cheers,
Edouard.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'looking-to-the-sun.jpg' (205 KB)

Preview of image 'looking-to-the-sun.jpg'
looking-to-the-sun.jpg