POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ooops. Odd blotches. : Re: Ooops. Odd blotches. Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:12:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ooops. Odd blotches.
From: clipka
Date: 14 Mar 2009 12:50:01
Message: <web.49bbdfbd644b8e0a4c2c4c080@news.povray.org>
> They look like radiosity artifacts to me. Try raising the count. Also, make sure
> recursion_limit is high enough that radiosity rays are making it through the
> water surface!

recursion_limit is not the screw to tweak here. That parameter is somewhat akin
to the max_trace_level, but rather than limiting the number of *total* bounces
calculated, it just limits the number of *diffuse* bounces. There may be an
arbitrary number of reflection/refraction bounces in between - radiosity
doesn't care (unless the general max_trace_level restriction kicks in).

I never tested it, but thinking about it, my first guess would be that raising
recursion_limit would actually make the splotches worse in number (albeit
possibly weaker).