POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ooops. Odd blotches. : Re: Ooops. Odd blotches. Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:17:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ooops. Odd blotches.
From: clipka
Date: 14 Mar 2009 12:35:00
Message: <web.49bbdbc3644b8e0a4c2c4c080@news.povray.org>
"[GDS|Entropy]" <gds### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

Looks weird (even without the blotches). Like it!

> This image uses radiosity, but I doubt it caused the odd blotches.

I *guarantee* you it did, beyond any doubt.

The blotches also tell me that you're using a version of POV prior to
3.7.0.beta.29-rad1 (or a derivative; given that you mention HDR, I reckon it's
MegaPOV 1.2.1)

Your scene's setting is the role model for the infamous POV 3.6 (and earlier)
"black splotchy artifacts" radiosity bug: An abundance of reflective stuff with
an abundance of interreflection. With this setting, you're almost *inevitably*
to contract the "black pox".

There's just one thing to rule them all, find them, bring them all, and in the
brightness bind them: Crank up max_trace_level a really good deal. All other
resistance is futile.

(Or use the current POV 3.7 beta of course.)