POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Re: Moss Vine test [~30k] : Re: Moss Vine test [~30k] Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:17:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Moss Vine test [~30k]
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 11 Mar 2009 09:10:00
Message: <web.49b7b7d6d4fd5b286dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
> Your memory usage is still heinous. There's no way you should need to use more
> than a fraction of that for this sort of thing.

Sorry, please disregard my disbelief, I've got so accustomed to using meshes for
this that I forget just how much memory normal objects take up. On reflection,
it doesn't seem so silly.

So:

The reason you're running out of memory is that every instance you use takes up
the same memory as the original, so there's no advantage to instancing. Meshes,
however, are stored just once. All mesh instances are actually just transforms,
so they take up a minute amount of space. I guarantee that if you use meshes
for your fronds, even quite complex ones, you will save over 95% of the memory
you're currently using!

You can even go further and use them for the ivy creepers, although that's
probably not so serious.

:)