POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Re: Moss Vine test [~30k] : Re: Moss Vine test [~30k] Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:14:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Moss Vine test [~30k]
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 11 Mar 2009 08:30:01
Message: <web.49b7addbd4fd5b286dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
"[GDS|Entropy]" <gds### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Of course, and if the macro parameters are expected to be stable, I could
> make my macro implement yours, if that is cool.

Could do, but I may change it considerably yet; that's why I've not posted it
anywhere. You could always just plunder my code to make your own leaf, which is
what I was getting at ;-)

> I doubt that I can get around the out of memory error by writing to a file.
> Unless povray can read/write a part of a file without loading the whole
> thing, or unless somehow a file would take less memory for the same amount
> of data than would an array, I don't see any way around this problem in its
> entirety.

Your memory usage is still heinous. There's no way you should need to use more
than a fraction of that for this sort of thing.

I don't understand where all your data is coming from. Surely all you need to
store in an array is a position and maybe a normal for each moss object? There
can't be more than 10,000 visible 'mosses' in that image.

> Granted, using a mesh would free up a LOT of spaces used by the moss array,
> as each moss frond takes 260 at current settings.

Why aren't you #declaring a moss frond, storing position data (i.e. vectors)
in the array, then instancing the #declared frond? Your image simply does not
have enough complexity to account for that memory usage.

Whenever I've done something like this in the past, I've racked up some severe
parsing times, but rarely more than a few 10s of MB of peak RAM.

> Peak memory used:        1414575125 bytes

*clunk*

*wires jaw back on*

:)

Bill