POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Thing That Wood Not Be : Re: The Thing That Wood Not Be Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:18:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Thing That Wood Not Be
From: Eriban
Date: 10 Mar 2009 18:25:00
Message: <web.49b6e82fb560dad881475b100@news.povray.org>
"triple_r" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Forgive the self-promotion, but this genre is always one of my favorites.  I
> love the concept and the woodworking.  Here's one which probably uses a similar
> technique that I finally semi-finished up after about a six-year hiatus.

Only a six-year hiatus? That's nothing compared to my eleven years! ;-) Anyway,
I like your impossible dog house (and the thread that went with it). Only thing
I'd probably change if that scene were mine is the piece in the grass that's
crossing in front of the door. The discontinuity of interpretation is a bit too
big for my liking. I prefer more gradual changes. Nevertheless, well done,
especially the grass, and I like the twist with the dog.

> I think you could make the soft shadows work with some creative use (a la Mr. de
> Groot) of the no_image and no_shadow keywords.  The basic trick is to use
> no_shadow on the real part.  Then you add a part where you want the shadow to
> *look* like it's coming from with the no_image keyword.  You can also move the
> lighting to a convenient angle in order to hide some questionable spots.

Yeah, something like that could work. However, I prefer not too use these tricks
that couldn't be used in the real world. I like it when there's at least the
possiblity for complete ray-trace novices to find out how the illusion could be
achieved.

> Either way, I like the image though.

Thanks.

Erwin