POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Incongruity about normal Wrinkles? : Re: Incongruity about normal Wrinkles? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:16:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Incongruity about normal Wrinkles?
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 9 Mar 2009 15:10:00
Message: <web.49b568b1f0f85f5881c811d20@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > > Highlights in *Agate* and *Granite* are perfectly centered in the image.
> > > The problem is in *wrinkles*:
> > > that poor higlights has been confined to bottom left...
> >
> > I don't know the answer why, but I have always encountered this with the
> > wrinkles normal as well.
>
> The online help says about "wrinkles" in section 3.5.11.37:
>
> "When used as a normal pattern, this pattern uses a specialized normal
> perturbation function. [...]"
>
> It doesn't state anything similar about "agate" and "granite".
>
> It seems that the specialized "wrinkels" normal pertubation function is not
> really good ad what it should do...

It's not really that it should look like agate or granite, but rather behave
similarly: highlights in a similar range/location when compared to highlights
from agate or granite normals of similar magnitude/scale.  At least this is
what I would think the 'expected' behavior would be.  However it doesn't seem
to be the case.  It appears as if, in addition to the base wrinkle normal, an
overall bias normal of some sort is being added, almost as if the whole surface
is sloping in some direction rather than being flat.  I never bothered doing any
experimenting to see if this overall look is consistent with different viewing
angles, but I may try now when I get the opportunity.

-tgq