POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Re: Moss Vine test [~30k] : Re: Moss Vine test [~30k] Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:12:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Moss Vine test [~30k]
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 9 Mar 2009 06:25:00
Message: <web.49b4ee36d4fd5b286dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
"[GDS|Entropy]" <gds### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Due to the fact I'm using cone differences to make the individual leaves of
> the moss....a lot of time. Each moss object as seen in that image is
> composed of 260 objects. I would like to use those mesh approximation macros
> you have to create a mesh of the base level of the moss object that could
> then be translated as needed.

I'm not sure my macros are the best solution for that; even if you're genuinely
after a cone, you're better off just writing a simple cone mesh macro for
yourself. I'd be inclined to use very simple flat triangle-based leaves, and
don't worry about smoothing - it's surprising how far a low-detail leaf goes if
it's not going to be seen in closeup.

Make sure your leaf/cone macros just output triangles, not a complete mesh -
have another macro build a clump of leaves as a single mesh that you can then
clone.

> I think that the mesh moss might reduce the ram needed.
[snip stats]

Definitely. I'd expect it to need less than 10% of your current usage, if the
meshes are deployed properly. You might not see a drastic speed up for
high-quality renders, because this sort of thing gets slowed down quite a lot
by the antialiasing, but you should find that non-aa tests run blindingly fast.

Bill