POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : On the streets... : Re: On the streets... Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:18:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: On the streets...
From: clipka
Date: 8 Mar 2009 13:05:00
Message: <web.49b3f9fcdf6b06f2a745f7570@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote:
> No. I am sorry. I am about 99% certain that the gamma's are correct and I
> can clearly see everything (no ambient used of course) and as far as I can
> see the contrast between light and dark is about right.

As a matter of fact, your shot *is* problematic on poorly calibrated displays,
or monitors calibrated for different viewing conditions (e.g. if someone
calibrated his display for dim artificial illumination, they'll have trouble
seeing your picture with bright daylight shining into their room).

On my primary display and under my standard viewing conditions, The shot turns
out fine, e.g. I can make out the structure of the buildings and such (which
supports your claim, as I am quite sure that the display is rather well
calibrated, too); on my secondary display, however, I cannot. (So far it has
defeated any attempts to calibrate it properly, so I make the best of it and
use it to assess how my shots look like to viewers who don't bother about
calibration.)

Just in case this shot should happen to be a WIP for some kind of competition
(*wink*), you might want to take such issues into account. It *may* be better
to have the shot a bit too bright than a bit too dark.