POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : My CNC router design : Re: My CNC router design Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:13:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My CNC router design
From: Kenneth
Date: 7 Mar 2009 23:05:01
Message: <web.49b33df54b56cbe3f50167bc0@news.povray.org>
"Rarius" <rar### [at] rariuscouk> wrote:
> As well as pretty pictures, POVRay is very useful as a 3D design tool.
> I've been designing a CNC router for the last few weeks and being able
> to render it from any angle has helped me get over many design
> difficulties.
>
> Rarius

As always when designing such machinery, 'success lies in the details'--the
proper bearings, the elimination of mechanical backlash, etc.  I'm curious as
to what type of threaded drive shafts you plan on using?

Something to be aware of (and this is from my own personal experience) is that
using *multiple* threaded shafts to drive a single axis can create problems and
headaches in trying to get things to work reliably (not insurmountable ones, of
course)-- the shafts need to be as parallel as is humanly possible--in two
axes--so the moving platform doesn't 'lock up' at some point. Perhaps you've
taken that into account already.

Good luck with the design; it looks very promising. (Someday I want to build one
of these things myself.)

Ken W.