POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Problems combining two isosurfaces with non-flat surface : Re: Problems combining two isosurfaces with non-flat surface Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:10:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problems combining two isosurfaces with non-flat surface
From: Mike
Date: 7 Mar 2009 14:00:00
Message: <web.49b2c28d8416b8f9cb45af7a0@news.povray.org>
"Rarius" <rar### [at] rariuscouk> wrote:
> From the images you posted, it seems that your two isosurfaces are NOT the
> same shape, thus are not meshing together properly.
>
> Rather than making two regions, why not make just one, then create the other
> from it...
>
> Example:
>
> #local oRegion=
> isosurface{...}
>
> #local oOtherRegion=
> difference
> {
>     box{...}
>     object{oRegion}
> }
>
> This way you will be guaranteed that the two regions will mesh together
> perfectly.
>
> Rarius

Ok, so I did what you said and it still gives the same problem.  First let me
say I worked really hard to make both by interfaces the same shape.  It is
possible they are not lining up now, however I did and re-did my math and have
tried many combinations of negative signs and stuff (the rotate/translate
confuses me a bit) because I  did second guess myself quite a bit when I saw
the results, but no matter what I did I still see problems.  However, there is
definitely something else fundamentally wrong, maybe with the merge operator?
I did do what you said and tried it with and without merging.  I also tried
putting a tiny space when not merging and a tiny overlap when merging. The
"best" results happened when I merged and overlapped (this is also what I have
found in the past with what I have done).  With this, it is hard to see a
problem at first, but if you turn up the light (I used the backlight that I
have used it the test code of the two overlapping boxes I put in the general
section) you still see the interface.

What I have done changed from the origional code in the  general section:
http://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3Cweb.49b1a40e24e2961fc9b9f9f00@news.povray.org%3E//povray.general/thread
/%3Cweb.49b24b108416b8f940b1852c0@news.povray.org%3E/

commented out all the isosurf stuff in the HeavyLiquidRegion and added:
difference{
box{<-1.899, .21,-1.899>,<1.899,5,1.899>}
object{AlcoholRegion}

also, commented out the translate and rotate in the HeavyLiquidRegion and added:
 translate -0.001*y
so they overlap. I also put my code making a backlight which is in the general
section too.  I also uncommented the merge operator stuff, so that I merge the
two regions.

Below is the image of what I get.  It clearly shows the "supposed to be
invisible" interface.  very similar to the case when I have two overlapping
boxes as I did for a test above.

-Mike

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'total_imageframe1.png' (101 KB)

Preview of image 'total_imageframe1.png'
total_imageframe1.png