POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Thing That Wood Not Be : Re: The Thing That Wood Not Be Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:23:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Thing That Wood Not Be
From: Eriban
Date: 7 Mar 2009 10:00:00
Message: <web.49b28b1fb560dad881475b100@news.povray.org>
"Rarius" <rar### [at] rariuscouk> wrote:
> Very nice scene... well executed.

Thanks

> I have an idea about soft shadows for you. I have attached an image using
> the technique below. Note that the scene uses just a single point light
> source.
>
> 1) add the no_shadow keyword to the actual object.
> 2) create another object that is the same shape and position as the real
> one, but is clear and hollow.
> 3) fill this new shape with an absorbing media

That's an interesting idea. Unfortunately, it wouldn't work in this scene
(sorry, but I prefer to leave that without an explanation; knowing the secret
of magic illusions typically spoils the fun). Also, although I use tricks to
make the illusion work, I prefer to stick to the laws of physics. Using
"no_shadow" seems wrong in that respect.  Yeah, I know, it's all very silly. I
don't like to share the scene file, yet I artificially constrain myself to not
include any hacks in the scene :-).

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Cheers,
Erwin