POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : On the streets... : Re: On the streets... Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:23:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: On the streets...
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 5 Mar 2009 15:20:01
Message: <web.49b0337cdf6b06f285de7b680@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote:
> To do: replace the ground fog by a density media. This will show the cones
> of light (I hope). An initial try out with individual media cones was far
> from convincing.
> To do: street lamps and wolves seem to float slightly above ground.

Some points:

- The scene is too dark.  I had to lower my monitor gamma to see the girls as
more than just vague blobs.  I can't even see the leftmost wolf at my usual
setting; it just poofed out of the blackness when I adjusted the monitor.
(Note:  I try to set my monitor to 2.2, but with a viewing-angle-dependent LCD
with a wayward white point, I may be off.)

- The street light looks_likes are too dim.  They should be considerably
brighter than what they're illuminating.

- With that style of bulb enclosure (called a sag-lens), you won't get much of a
light cone--at least not in real life.  Sag-lenses will give you a "dark cone"
pointing upward, with a lot of light everywhere else.  Full cut-off lenses,
flush with the fixture, will get you your light cone, along with the grateful
appreciation of the neighborhood amateur astronomers.

- The girls appear to be on the defensive.  They need to assert their alpha
dominance, or the wolves will not treat them very hospitably.  Remember, Homo
sapiens rules!  (Of course, the times I was chased or attacked by domesticated
wolves I was too scared to remember anything other than RUN!, which is the
worst thing you can do when being chased or attacked by domesticated wolves.)
(Note: do not try this with bears or big cats.)