POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Proscenium Theater lighting : Re: Proscenium Theater lighting Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:18:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Proscenium Theater lighting
From: clipka
Date: 4 Mar 2009 12:05:00
Message: <web.49aeb39540debb9dbdc576310@news.povray.org>
CShake <cshake+pov### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Render took 00:02:09 in v3.7b31, then I retried it in MegaPOV 1.2.1,
> which still showed the color banding and took 00:05:54. (I was expecting
> 3.7 to be a little less than twice as fast, but it seems like the core
> improvements are even better than I thought)

Did you try the HDR output?

The banding looks like you've reached the dynamic limit of the image format in
dark regions. Try the following:

- Set output format to "H" in either 3.7 or MegaPOV
- Render the shot
- Load it into a sotftware like HDRView or HDRShop

So far, I'd expect the color banding to still show.

- Crank up the f-stops in HDRView / HDRShop
=> the color banding should disappear.

If it does, we're talking about image format issues. In that case, instroducing
some noise might help eliminate the banding (not sure at the moment how I'd do
that; maybe there is software that can convert HDR to PNG while introducing
some dithering in dark regions, but POV may have some weapons for this in its
arsenal, too).