POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Chief Architect and POV-Ray : Re: Chief Architect and POV-Ray Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:24:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Chief Architect and POV-Ray
From: Edouard Poor
Date: 2 Mar 2009 17:35:00
Message: <web.49ac5e22788f5fafbd47b0730@news.povray.org>
Jaime Vives Piqueres <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> wrote:

> > That's easy - just use an averaged normal_map
> >
> > e.g.
>
>    Thanks, but I was referring to the "averaged big normals" trick, not to
> the micronormals one... :)

Oh, I see.

Well kind of anyway - I'd really thought the two were more or less equivalent in
what they were doing per pixel.

I've done a texture averaging version of the averaged big normals as well - see
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cnews.povray.org-AB5CC1.09303823032008@news.povray.org%3E

You create an averaged normal, then blend together a whole bunch of those in an
averaged texture.

I used sin() and the number of blur samples required to get a really smooth
blend without the usual random jitter noise.

The code (or something close to it) for that was:

#declare BlurAmount = 160;
#declare BlurSamples = 20;

#declare tex_A =
 texture {
  average
  texture_map {
#declare i = 0;
#while(i < BlurSamples)
   [ 1
    pigment { tex_pattern }
    normal {
                  average
                  normal_map {
                      [ 1, gradient z
                          bump_size
                              (-BlurAmount/2) +
                              (BlurAmount*sin(i/BlurSamples) + (rand(S)*
BlurAmount *0.01))
                          scale z*100
                          translate z*50 ]
                      [ 1, wrinkles 0.07 scale <2,1,1> ]  // Or bump map etc
                  }
              };
              finish { reflection 0.08 metallic }
   ]
#declare i = i+1;
#end
  }
 };

Is that closer to what you are after, or am I still not fully understanding it?

Cheers,
Edouard.