POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : CryEngine 2 and ToD mods : Re: CryEngine 2 and ToD mods Server Time
29 Sep 2024 23:29:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CryEngine 2 and ToD mods
From: nemesis
Date: 2 Mar 2009 12:25:00
Message: <web.49ac162cc0c4756c773c9a3e0@news.povray.org>
"Gilles Tran" <gil### [at] agroparistechfr> wrote:
> But isn't much of the illumination pre-generated on the texture bitmaps
> through traditional slow methods? You can do that in POV-Ray too: render the
> scene with a renderer that supports baking, put the resulting bitmap on the

> illumination (see for instance
> http://www.oyonale.com/modeles.php?lang=en&page=54).

That's a few cubes around.  In a tiny resolution, without complex texturing and
AO and probably running a few frames per second.  I'd say the games industry
has been pushing rendering techniques much further than techniques started in
academia, like raytracing, photon mapping or path tracing.

Another game with incredible quasi-GI effects running at 60FPS is Mirror's Edge.