POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Revenge of the Scarabs : Re: Revenge of the Scarabs Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:25:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Revenge of the Scarabs
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 2 Mar 2009 10:20:01
Message: <web.49abf855f3f1ac2685de7b680@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> [...] a case that ultimately led to creationism being removed 'once and for
> all' from classrooms. (Based on a 'separation of church and state' issue.)

Only from public school science classrooms.  It is fine to teach it in a
comparative religion class in an unbiased fashion, for example.  Of course,
this doesn't work in practice because the people trying to force their religion
into public schools will not tolerate an unbiased presentation.  Private schools
can teach what they want, although the kids still have to pass state
standards--leading Kansas to gut theirs.

> Of
> course, that doesn't stop fundamentalist-minded local and regional school
> boards from forever trying to reinstate it. Like the infamous incident in
> Dover, Maryland.

Dover, Pennsylvania, actually.

> "Cousin Ricky" <ric### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> > (It doesn't help
> > that Texas, of all states, has de facto control over textbook content for the
> > whole USA.
>
> Is that true?? I don't even have words to express my shock. That's *really*
> disturbing. I can't even imagine how that came to be--oh, except through
> politics. And a certain ex-President. Duh.

Market veto power.  Texas has the 2nd highest number of school children, and if
Texas won't buy a textbook, the publishers won't print it.  (California has
more school children, but not as strong a religious agenda--although there is
_some_ level of religious agenda, as the voters recently voted to dictate to
other people whom they're allowed to marry.)