POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Revenge of the Scarabs : Re: Revenge of the Scarabs Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:23:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Revenge of the Scarabs
From: Kenneth
Date: 2 Mar 2009 03:50:00
Message: <web.49ab9d6df3f1ac26f50167bc0@news.povray.org>
"Cousin Ricky" <ric### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> In my country, misconceptions about evolution are the norm.  The problem is
> fundamentalist Christian organizations who do not understand the difference
> between real evidence and a 3000 book, and who believe that science is a form
> of religion.  While they have been spectacularly unsuccessful at forcing their
> mythology into our public school biology classes, they have succeeded in
> emasculating biology curricula though politics, intimidation, and sophistry.
> Most people don't understand what makes science different from religion, and
> are thus unequipped to defend science against the sophists.

I've been reading Stephen Jay Gould's book, "Bully for Brontosaurus", and he
really lays into this psuedo-scientific clap-trap. Interestingly, he was a
witness in an important science-vs-creationism trial (way back in the 1980's I
think), a case that ultimately led to creationism being removed 'once and for
all' from classrooms. (Based on a 'separation of church and state' issue.) Of
course, that doesn't stop fundamentalist-minded local and regional school
boards from forever trying to reinstate it. Like the infamous incident in
Dover, Maryland.

> (It doesn't help
> that Texas, of all states, has de facto control over textbook content for the
> whole USA.

Is that true?? I don't even have words to express my shock. That's *really*
disturbing. I can't even imagine how that came to be--oh, except through
politics. And a certain ex-President. Duh.

Ken W.