POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Revenge of the Scarabs : Re: Revenge of the Scarabs Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:26:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Revenge of the Scarabs
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 2 Mar 2009 03:55:00
Message: <web.49ab9d43f3f1ac2685de7b680@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Then again, "mother nature" has had her own uncontrolled nuclear experiments
> long before Chernobyl, for example with that water-moderated natural fission
> reactor somewhere in Africa...

That reaction seemed well-controlled to me.  No moving parts, no meltdown, no
explosion, and non-hazardous on-site storage of spent fuel.  It's been
suggested that we can learn from that incident.

For what it's worth, the reaction ceased about a billion years before
multicellular organisms evolved.  At the time, the upstart cyanobacteria were
still struggling to poison all life on earth with their chemical waste, oxygen.
 Hmmm... nuclear hotbeds, 0; species that decimate everything in their wake, 2.