POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : weird media artifacts? : Re: weird media artifacts? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:21:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: weird media artifacts?
From: Kenneth
Date: 28 Feb 2009 04:30:01
Message: <web.49a901ac7ce87223f50167bc0@news.povray.org>
> > Kenneth wrote:
> > As you can see, the spotlight doesn't
> > really impinge on the couch; but the entire couch goes wacky!
> >

> Jerome wrote:
> The first thing I'd try is to increase the max trace level. Then if
> it doesn't change anything, remove elements from the couch one by
> one starting with the reflection then the IOR.

I had not actually worked with this particular scene in awhile, but I started
thinking about it after posting my image. Before reading your suggestions, I
did indeed try turning off reflection and IOR in the couch--which helped
tremendously. (Max_trace_level is OK, BTW.) I also removed the cone object and
its media, so the only thing remaining is the spotlight. There's still some
kind of flaw where the spotlight 'cone' passes between the camera and the
couch. I'm thinking it's a transparency-related issue (the couch's
partial transparency) coupled with the spotlight. Or else it's related to the
couch's media interacting with the light. (And as far as I can remember,
spotlights and cylinder lights do have an intrinsic problem of their own; I
posted something about that long ago.)

KW

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: