POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : weird media artifacts? : Re: weird media artifacts? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:23:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: weird media artifacts?
From: Kenneth
Date: 28 Feb 2009 01:30:01
Message: <web.49a8d9647ce87223f50167bc0@news.povray.org>
CShake <cshake+pov### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> Thanks, the increased samples with fewer intervals makes a huge
> difference in render time, I tried this scene first with 30 intervals
> (ratio 0.5) and minimum 10 samples, then 1 interval with 100 samples and
> it ran at less than 1/4 the time and produced superior results.
> Seems like my problem has been fixed!

Good to hear. (I ran your test code and got the same results you did; but I
didn't think about the media parameters being at their defaults.)

Meanwhile, I dug up another problem-scene, just to show off another oddity, that
may or may not have a similar root cause to the one in the link I posted
earlier. (I'll have to run it with the latest beta to see if this one is
solved.) The blue 'couch' is media-filled--emission and absorption media-- with
an IOR and reflection. The only difference between the two images is the
scattering-media-filled spotlight in the 2nd image. (A cone is the media
container, which I made partly visible.)  As you can see, the spotlight doesn't
really impinge on the couch; but the entire couch goes wacky!

KW

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'bad_media_spotlight_test.jpg' (109 KB)

Preview of image 'bad_media_spotlight_test.jpg'
bad_media_spotlight_test.jpg