POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lunar eclipse from the Moon : Re: Lunar eclipse from the Moon Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:20:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lunar eclipse from the Moon
From: clipka
Date: 27 Feb 2009 09:10:00
Message: <web.49a7f3ca486d73658d0daedf0@news.povray.org>
Jellby <me### [at] privacynet> wrote:
> Some week ago we talked about how a lunar eclipse would look as seen from
> the Moon (i.e., with the Earth between Sun and Moon, it would be a solar
> eclipse from there), and about the possibility of rendering it. Yesterday I
> saw in Slashdot a piece of news
> (<http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/02/26/198259>) saying that
> this has been recorder for the first time by the Kaguya lunar orbiter. The
> pictures don't look too impressive for me, I don't see the expected red
> tint in the Earth's rim...

Again, it's a poor example because the eclipse was only partial ("penumbral").
It seems to me that the first part of the video, showing a slowly growing ring
of light around the earth, wasn't due to the movement of the celestial bodies,
but just some shutter being opened.

That said, while only the ring was visible the HDR camera may have been
operating at a dynamic range where brightness could be discerned but not color.