POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : MCPov Peculiarities : Re: MCPov Peculiarities Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:21:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MCPov Peculiarities
From: triple r
Date: 27 Feb 2009 08:15:01
Message: <web.49a7e741336c2d8d63a1b7c30@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Ah well, looks like I myself am the first one to come up with a (partial)
> solution for these issues:
>
> - When I added the portal for the broken glass, I also added
> mc_check_portal_overlap; it seems that this also requires using mc_sort_portals
> (at least for my shot). This eliminates the arced shadow (which, as it seems,
> was due to the glass portal "shadowing" the sun portal).

Are you sure you want a portal for the glass?  For outdoor scenes, I have had
good luck with just a portal for the light source and mc_sky if the sky is
non-uniform.  A portal may be required to get very sharp caustics, but at this
oblique angle, it should not be critical.  You might try just increasing the
primary diffuse samples for the ground instead.

 - Ricky