POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : MCPov Peculiarities : MCPov Peculiarities Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:22:57 EDT (-0400)
  MCPov Peculiarities
From: clipka
Date: 27 Feb 2009 04:25:01
Message: <web.49a7b0f37c54a5c3a6e1d3980@news.povray.org>
What's going on here?

The first shot is a classic POV-Ray radiosity shot, to give an impression of
what I'd expect the "final" MCPov results to look like.

The other three shots are MCPov shots of the very same scene...

- after the first pass (34 minutes)

- after the 15th pass (about 7 hours)

- in a low-res version *not* using a portal on the broken glass  (plus some
subtle differences in the height field, but those are minor; something like
180th pass, 11 hours; scaled up here to match the other shots)

Note...

(A) how the broken glass has started out almost opaque in the MCPov high-res
shots, and has developed bright specks since then; the same effect was seen in
the low-res version, too - the interim result indicates that MCPov is trying
hard to make up for the initial error with some really "heavyweight" rays, and
the result will eventually be correct, but the performance is definitely poor;

(B) the arced shadow in the MCPov high-res shots to the right of the broken
glass, that has come out of nowhere; as this, too, gets riddled with bright
specks over time, I suspect it will be cancelled out eventually - but why is it
there in the first place? It's not in the low-res shot, so it must have
something to do with the (bounding box) portal I defined on the glass, but it's
much larger than the box.

Can someone give me a clue how to fix these issues? In this manner, it will take
ages before I get any decent result...

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'lostcity-mcpov-montage.jpg' (235 KB)

Preview of image 'lostcity-mcpov-montage.jpg'
lostcity-mcpov-montage.jpg