POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Mantis II : Re: Mantis II Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:22:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mantis II
From: triple r
Date: 26 Feb 2009 10:35:00
Message: <web.49a6b5d7d033a22463a1b7c30@news.povray.org>
"Mike Hough" <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:
> I tried an aoi pattern on the eyes, which works well for shading but adding
> a dark spot on the eye didn't look right. Also changed the flower color...

That looks really good.  Of course, you can't have to many samples when it comes
to focal blur, and the grass could be slightly higher-resolution.  It would be
interesting to see how it would work just a little more 'damp.'  Dew, perhaps?
More highlights?  I love the mantis though, and the green is a better color than
the last.

If it helps, here's a vaguely similar image I did a while back.  It started as a
test for the bokeh effect.  The key was to really boost the dynamic range, but
this requires a *lot* of samples in order to spread a small highlight out into
some aperture shape.  (The heptagonal aperture also required some patching.  I
think MegaPOV has a square aperture.)

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.47c26b5e8e18150dae42298f0%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=302054
&toff=500

 - Ricky