POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Spline improvements : Re: Spline improvements Server Time
30 Apr 2024 23:06:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spline improvements
From: Allen
Date: 26 Feb 2009 00:10:00
Message: <web.49a6234ac26f2bd28f162dfb0@news.povray.org>
"Woody" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Is this related to the thread at

http://news.povray.org/povray.pov4.discussion.general/thread/%3C1v9up3pge5h98h0g5botvjnjj3amvddkgs%404ax.com%3E/?ttop
=2
> 98998

I don't think so.  Basically if I define a spline and set up an animation camera
to follow a spline as follows:

time1, point1,
time2, point2,
time3, point3,
time4, point4,

The value of the time would control the speed the camera moves at, which is
fine.  If I want to make a segment faster I can decrease the difference of the
times, or if I want to slow it down I can increase the difference of the times
But any time I make a change I may also have to change the times in order to
keep the desired speed.  Now for simple animations it may be desired for the
camera to always move the same speed along the spline, but in order to do this
any time you change the spline shape you must also calculate new times so the
time of each segment is the same.  My idea was basically for it to somehow
automatically do that such that the time of each segment is the same.  Of
course it could be used for anything a spline can be used for and not just
moving a camera.  All it would do is automatically generate the time values
such that:

t / length_from_beginning(my_spline(t))

is equal to:

(t + N) / length_from_beginning(my_spline(t + N))