POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ruins WIP : Re: Ruins WIP Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:25:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ruins WIP
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 25 Feb 2009 08:05:00
Message: <web.49a540ecfa6cf65c6dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "Bill Pragnell" <bil### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > > Do I need to start with an isosurface, or will any shape do?
> >
> > Any shape whose surface is completely visible from the specified centre-point
> > (so make sure CSG is a merge!). It suffers a little from stretch artifacts for
> > long shapes, so I should probably try to improve the grid shape...
>
> Hum... then it might actually not work with my brick w/ holes?

It wouldn't work completely. You'd have to make the holes via a difference.

> Are the mesh generation and distortion separate steps, so that I might be able
> to adapt the mesh generation algorithm to use those macros on my bricks?

It perturbs each mesh point as it goes, so it'd be a bit of a rewrite I'm
afraid. But the technique is sound, as long as you could create your bricks as
meshes, all the perturbation needs is a normal and a pigment function.

Look at the code; it's in the object collection.