POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : still weird artifacts with superposed, different IOR boxes : Re: still weird artifacts with superposed, different IOR boxes Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:21:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: still weird artifacts with superposed, different IOR boxes
From: clipka
Date: 25 Feb 2009 03:35:01
Message: <web.49a501b6ef01d7592bfcd5d90@news.povray.org>
Hi Mike,

looks all perfectly ok to me (well, admittedly it does *look* weird, but
refractions occasionally do).

So far, I didn't find any feature in the image that couldn't be explained. In
fact, I'm actually *missing* two lines. See the annotated shot (the red dots
mark the refracted images of the top box's lower rear left corner; the red
circle marks where I'd have expected another refracted images of that corner.

A possible explanation for these missing lines might be that the angle of
incidence on the left wall (seen through the top wall) is just shallow enough
to result in total (i.e. 100%) reflection.

There are some more subtle lines I didn't bother to try to explain. I suspect
these are secondary or even tertiary reflections & refractions, or color bands
due to the output format used.

To get a better feeling for the effects that can be observed in the image, you
may want to do an animation of this scene, with the camera circling around.
This may help you grasp what's going on.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'liquid_test2-annotated.png' (139 KB)

Preview of image 'liquid_test2-annotated.png'
liquid_test2-annotated.png