POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Another mcpov render : Re: Another mcpov render Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:26:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another mcpov render
From: Kenneth
Date: 22 Feb 2009 14:00:00
Message: <web.49a19f5e3e484721f50167bc0@news.povray.org>
Severi Salminen <sev### [at] NOTTHISsaunalahtifiinvalid> wrote:
> Kenneth wrote:
>
> > So as I understand it, the more random-grain individual images that are averaged
> > together (images from different users on different machines), the better and
> > more accurate the scene becomes? That's fascinating. Each of us could spend
> > maybe 2 hours of spare computer time, rendering our (grainy) versions, them
> > send them back to the original author for the final averaging step. That's
> > just--cool!
>
> But only if they all use a different random seed! Averaging the same
> grainy image 10 times won't improve the results at all.

I was looking through MCPOV's online documentation, and it indicates that each
separate image render (as in, images to be averaged later) should use
"mc_rand_seed" to set a different rand sequence: "Initiates the random sequence
used by the montecarlo algorithm with the current date." By 'date,' I'm guessing
that it means not just the particular day, but down to the second or even finer
time resolution (based on the machine's system clock.) So, for example, if I
start a render at 2:30:37 PM on March 16, and someone else in my time zone
happens to start one at 2:30:38 PM on the same day, the two rendered images
will still be randomly different. Am I correct?

KW