POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The torpor of light : Re: The torpor of light Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:19:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The torpor of light
From: triple r
Date: 19 Feb 2009 16:45:00
Message: <web.499dd281122f218563a1b7c30@news.povray.org>
"Cousin Ricky" <ric### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> Trying to whip up a spiroform compact fluorescent light bulb, all seemed
> well until I flicked on the high ambient and radiosity.  It took freakin'
> 4 hours for a little 320x320 swatch!

Here's my quick attempt with mcpov.  Yours looks much better, but it's possible
mine may render more quickly.

The bulb is a mesh just generated by extruding a cross-section along a spline,
all in pov, of course.  There's not much control for orientation or twisting,
but it's fine for a circle.  I used an aoi pattern for the bulb, although it is
almost completely blown out.  It'd be nice to have HDR output for mcpov, but oh
well.  I will post the source to p.t.s-f shortly.

 - Ricky