POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : More Rainbows pt 2 : Re: More Rainbows pt 2 Server Time
1 Aug 2024 02:16:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More Rainbows pt 2
From: clipka
Date: 10 Feb 2009 18:00:00
Message: <web.4992060bdddf939e797ec15b0@news.povray.org>
"Bob" <omniverse*charter!net> wrote:
> Many times I tried to get a traffic cone fluorescent orange color and
> failed.

That's no surprise, because this orange (or rather, "signal red" if it's the
stuff I'm thinking of) is "excessively" orange / red.

As the real-life pigment *is* in fact fluorescent (= absorbs ultraviolet light
and re-emits it in the visible spectrum), it will (seem to) "reflect" e.g. more
red light than a perfectly white surface would.

To simulate it in POV-Ray, you need to (1) set (some of) the color components to
values >1.0 as appropriate, and (2) reduce the overall lighting of the scene so
that your "plain white" is less bright than the display can get.

I recommend using HDR output (available in MegaPOV 1.2.1 or current POV betas,
and viewable with e.g. the freeware programs "HDRView" or "HDRShop"), because
the file format can easily represent color values >100%, so you can later toy
around with overall brightness (and gamma, for that matter).