POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lego on Mars : Re: Lego on Mars Server Time
1 Aug 2024 02:19:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lego on Mars
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 10 Feb 2009 07:10:01
Message: <web.49916de83fb61ce66dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
"Cousin Ricky" <ric### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> "clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
[snip]
> > These pages look like the guy knows what he's writing about:
> >
> > http://www.donaldedavis.com/2002_addons/SSYCOLRS.html
> > http://www.donaldedavis.com/PARTS/MARSCLRS.html
>
> So then the difference between the rust-colored Spirit images from nasa.gov and
> the glowing-lava-colored Spirit images from CNN (which presumably came from the
> same space probe) wasn't my imagination.  It hadn't occurred to me (though it
> should have) that people other than NASA would screw with the color balance.
>
> Over 33 years, I recall seen only one version of the Viking images--one that's
> far, far more garish than any of the images on Don Davis's Web site.
>
> The things you learn while trying to make pretty pictures!

Indeed. I would have imagined something like the images on the second of those
two links, based on what little I have read on the subject - mainly
well-researched fiction, it has to be said. And I don't watch (or even
receive!) CNN, so I couldn't comment on the 'creative' nature of their
broadcast images.

It's easy to see how colours are recorded and perceived differently - try taking
pictures with any digital camera of an indoor scene, no flash, with the
different colour temperature settings. They all match up with what your mind
sees to some degree, but the difference in the colours is startling.

I should add that I am well aware of the unrealistic nature of my lego render -
my intention was a bright, garish hollywood background to fit with the
primary-colour nature of the lego sets!

:)