POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lego on Mars : Re: Lego on Mars Server Time
1 Aug 2024 02:16:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lego on Mars
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 9 Feb 2009 16:15:01
Message: <web.49909c313fb61ce685de7b680@news.povray.org>
> At risk of being dull and repetitive, here's another lego render. The curvature
> of the horizon is the ultra_wide_angle camera, not true curvature!

The red color looks way too strong; Martian soil is typically more brownish.
(The planet is made of dirt, after all.)

The redness that you see when you look at Mars in the sky is an effect created
by your vision due to the contrast between the sunlit Mars and the black sky.
The redness you see in surface images is due to Hollywood or NASA giving the
public what they want.  The Viking images (1976) are just plain prostitution.
The Pathfinder images (1997) are zealously sobered up.  The Spirit and
Opportunity shots (2004) may or may not be realistic-looking depending on
whether the image was prepped for or by CNN.  (I swear, the images I saw on TV
were different from the ones I saw on nasa.gov.)