POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : the Utah teapot is older than you think! : Re: the Utah teapot is older than you think! Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:15:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: the Utah teapot is older than you think!
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 7 Feb 2009 10:30:00
Message: <web.498da8842cee23ee219167190@news.povray.org>
> "Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote:
> > Interestingly, Tim Attwood posted something similar in povray.advanced-users
> [snip]
> > and which I have used a couple of times. Would be interesting to compare
> > methods...
>
> Aha, I didn't know about that, but I'd be very surprised if nobody had done this
> before in some form! Tim's method is similar, but he's picking random starting
> points within the bounding box from which to fire test rays, whereas I'm
> looping over a grid of starting points.
>
> It would, as you say, be interesting to see the differences. I shall
> investigate. :)

Well, it seems Tim's method produces a very similar result to mine, with maybe
just a little more clumping. It does take a lot longer to parse, however -
although it's difficult to compare exactly because he sets a max loop counter,
not a max hit counter, and mine just takes a grid spacing.

I am going to fiddle a little more with mine, then I'll post the source.

Bill