POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Tiffany Lamp (WIP snapshot) : Re: Tiffany Lamp (WIP snapshot) Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:21:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tiffany Lamp (WIP snapshot)
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 7 Feb 2009 08:05:00
Message: <web.498d86a6fd11339185de7b680@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Not recommended with current LCD technology: It's still too
> viewing-angle-dependent (typically in the up/down diretion), and taking a few
> steps back may change the angle significantly enough to make your results quite
> useless.

This is especially true of these new-fangled glossy screens that are all the
rage with laptops.  As if seeing the reflection of my ugly face is an
"improvement."  Between the extremely narrow viewing angle (I can sense a
mismatch between my eyes just by tilting my head) and the reflection, setting
the gamma is nearly impossible.

(I'm just as puzzled over the popularity of glossy magazines and of the glossy
varnishes used on paintings.  I just find myself frustrated with the reflection
of the room and room lighting interfering with the picture or magazine article.
Sure I like gloss--but on things that I don't have to examine, such as flower
vases and kitchen appliances.)