POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : the Utah teapot is older than you think! : Re: the Utah teapot is older than you think! Server Time
1 Aug 2024 02:13:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: the Utah teapot is older than you think!
From: Kenneth
Date: 5 Feb 2009 15:00:06
Message: <web.498b43d72cee23eef50167bc0@news.povray.org>

> It's basically just a macro that loops over voxels in the target object's
> bounding box, testing each one for proximity to a surface by firing a few rays
> around. If it finds a surface close by, it puts a component object there.
> Simple. Of course, halving the size of the resolution parameter causes an
> eightfold rise in parsing time, but it's still tolerable even at very high
> resolutions.

'Voxels', as in, all the points (the 'resolution') that are linearly
stepped-though in the bounding box, to cover its total volume? And shooting a
few trace rays from each point? If I have that right, that's cool. (It's cool
in any case, of course!) Or by 'resolution,' do you mean the number of rays
that are traced from each voxel point? I'm getting a good overall mental
picture of the process, and seeing its intrinsic simplicity.

KW