POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Tiffany Lamp (WIP snapshot) : Re: Tiffany Lamp (WIP snapshot) Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:16:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tiffany Lamp (WIP snapshot)
From: clipka
Date: 1 Feb 2009 13:50:01
Message: <web.4985ee4dfd113391f8450bd80@news.povray.org>
"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:
> > I keep having no idea (and can't seem to learn) which of all those gamma
> > settings to set to 1.0 and which to set to 2.2 - but I know for sure that
> > there
> > should *not* be a .75 *anywhere*...
>
>  :) Why not? If I increase it, it gets darker.

If your scene is too dark, that's not necessarily the gamma's fault. Maybe it's
time to replace that 25W light bulb with a 60W one.

The gamma settings are *not* suitable for adjusting overall scene brightness,
because they do so nonlinearly, thereby messing up the saturation in a highly
brightness-dependent fashion. Exactly the type of "selective washing-out" of
colors seen in your shot.