POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : max trace level / ADC bailout "blackout" : Re: max trace level / ADC bailout "blackout" Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:21:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: max trace level / ADC bailout "blackout"
From: clipka
Date: 28 Jan 2009 14:50:00
Message: <web.4980b5bdf9f6f1f1d52c367a0@news.povray.org>
"Mike Hough" <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:
> I have considered the value of letting the user specify the color to use
> when max trace level is reached, although I figured it would just be the
> background color. In a way it makes sense, since if a ray ends up not
> hitting anything that is what the program assigns as the color of the pixel,
> correct? Might make more sense to use the background color as the last value
> and then still calculate the average to reduce the degree of wrongness.

The background color is possibly not ideal, because its primary intention is to
be used just for that: The background.

There are multiple things coming into play here:

- Someone may use the background color for a "blue box" approach, setting it to
a very distinctive color.

- A scene showing a room may use the background color as an "outside color",
which would be visible only through a window.

The max trace level / adc bailout "cutoff color", however, should ideally be a
rough average of the color in the image.