POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Saturday night doodle. - Buddha01c1_.jpg (0/1) : Re: Saturday night doodle. - Buddha01c1_.jpg (0/1) Server Time
1 Aug 2024 16:31:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Saturday night doodle. - Buddha01c1_.jpg (0/1)
From: Woody
Date: 23 Jan 2009 07:35:00
Message: <web.4979b867390cc5e3d0bdfd6f0@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mcavoysAT@aolDOTcom> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 07:15:48 EST, "Woody" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>

> >Forgive my ignorance, what program did you use to convert from 3ds. Is it
> >free/open source I currently only know of one shareware program, and I am not
> >particularly keen on using it since it goes against my hippie philosophy of
> >promoting open source.
>
> That is three of us voting for PoseRay, which can be run under Wine, if you are
> using Linux. There is no mention of a licence that I can find.
>
> http://mysite.verizon.net/sfg0000/
>
> And this old hippy wants to know what's wrong with "open source"?
> --
>
> Regards
>      Stephen

Nothing is wrong with open source. I am a big believer in open source. I get a
lot of slack from my friends for using say gimp versus photo shop.

Anybody who's taken an economic course probably knows of Adam Smith who said
that economic market effiency is determined by everyone acting in their own
self interest, Way back in the 1700s. I however don't like this dog eat dog
perspecitive on life.

Not alot of people agree with Adam Smith's way of thinking. The fact that the
communist model failed, the strongest evidence to date that what he said is
true. I believe that open source is the most successful model that condradicts
Adam Smith.
Mainly I believe open source is proof that his views are not universal, and it
is possible for market effiency to happend with people working as a group
rather than against each other. I.e the more successful open source projects
(such as povray and openoffice) are successful because there are multiple
people involved in them, as oppose to projects that last about 6 months an only
has a single person.

Please, I did not mean any offense. I consider myself a hippie of "the next
generation"