POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Can someone force-test "balcony.pov"? : Re: Can someone force-test "balcony.pov"? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:25:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can someone force-test "balcony.pov"?
From: clipka
Date: 19 Jan 2009 18:55:01
Message: <web.497511b1c0d583029b482c50@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "triple_r" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > Sounds like a job for valgrind, but I don't know if that's practical for
> > something this large.  I used it yesterday.  A bad pointer started causing
> > problems in a completely unrelated spot.  Took a couple minutes to solve with
> > valgrind.

I actually did it. Surprisingly easy to use, at least the memcheck part.

So far, it has only complained about some problems in the frontend, mostly
conditional jumps based on allegedly uninitialized values in standard C string
functions; I guess these are all false alarms due to optimizations in the
statically linked libs.

However, the jury is still out. It does slow down render considerably, and the
simulated multithreading does not help with this either ;)