POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Can someone force-test "balcony.pov"? : Re: Can someone force-test "balcony.pov"? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:37:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can someone force-test "balcony.pov"?
From: clipka
Date: 19 Jan 2009 15:40:00
Message: <web.4974e3f2c0d583029b482c50@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> I experience segfaults when trying to render the balcony.pov sample scene with
> what would be the beta.30-rad1 for Linux (which unfortunately isn't published
> yet).
>
> There seems to be something weird going on related to the radiosity statistics
> code.
>
> Can someone with spare computing power and enough time at hand please force-test
> this scene on Windows, to see whether it may suffer from any similar problems at
> least occasionally?
>
> Unfortunately I can't debug on Linux.

Additional note: I just tried to narrow down the error cause, only to find
deliberate code changes to affect the outcome in the weirdest of ways. I did
find that disabling a certain statistics counter would prevent the segfault;
but when examining *why* that was the case, and trying mark pixels on screen
for which a certain safety check would fail, I found that I could turn the
segfault on or off by nothing more than changing the "marker color".

To cut a long story short: This looks like a typical "wild pointer" to me, so
the underlying error could be *anywhere* in the code.

As balcony.pov is the only of the sample scenes where I have been getting
segfaults on a regular basis, I currently presume it has something to do with
media or photons. But even that is just a wild guess.