POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : More lego : Re: More lego Server Time
1 Aug 2024 02:21:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More lego
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 19 Jan 2009 04:15:01
Message: <web.4974435a5f8f29996dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
Well, other models have not been so successful...

I've been using l3p to convert the models from the .ldr files. Good though LGEO
is, it does lack some pieces. Not usually a problem, the default ldraw pieces
are often good enough (especially in complex models), but there is an issue
with the space lego: LGEO doesn't have the classic space helmet!

l3p and LGEO support Anton Raves' parts library, which is not as big, but is
still extensive. There's a directory called 'lg' with the LGEO parts, and a
directory called 'ar'with Anton's parts. Strangely, the latter seems to contain
only a very small number of files compared with Anton's POV library file, which
means that the vast majority of Anton's parts are not accessible to l3p!

Each individual part .inc file in the 'ar' directory links to the relevant macro
in Anton's library file, together with the transform necessary for consistency
with ldraw. My immediate problem with the space helmets can be solved by
putting Anton's helmet() macro into its own 'ar' .inc file, and running l3p
again. However, I think it would be useful to update the 'ar' directory with
the rest of Anton's library, and I intend to do this over time.

Before I embark on extensive jiggery-pokery, has anyone else delved into this,
and if so, have you any thoughts?