POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : First MC-POV effort : Re: First MC-POV effort Server Time
1 Aug 2024 02:18:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: First MC-POV effort
From: clipka
Date: 15 Jan 2009 06:30:00
Message: <web.496f1df2103da13eaf8dfc8f0@news.povray.org>
"Bob Hughes" <omniverse charter net> wrote:
> Oh, and maybe the ear needs some redness from light shining through a bit.
> That SSS stuff. But I don't know what all you're able to do with that
> MC-POV...

It's actually rather limited in what it can do, but it seems quite good at
*that*.

Key features:

- sloooow

- patience always improves the results

- very realistic job at radiosity-like indirect diffuse illumination

- very good job at blurred specular reflections and refractions

- that's about it.

The basic idea behind it is to model diffuse illumination as a very blurred type
of reflection; blurred reflections, in turn, are modeled by adding some jitter
to the reflection, and sampling the whole image over and over again.

Classic lighting with dedicated light sources is disabled; instead, all light
comes from objects with emitting textures or media.

Subsurface scattering should be possible to model with media, just as in
standard POV-Ray, but there's no mechanism to speed it up (it actually would go
against MCPov's basic approach).