POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : My cat looking at something : Re: My cat looking at something Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:22:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My cat looking at something
From: clipka
Date: 12 Jan 2009 03:30:00
Message: <web.496afedf50d34e49fc24ec850@news.povray.org>
"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:
> "clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message
>
>  > There's a lot of models you can get for just $1.99 apiece
>
>     Sorry, but I'll never get the 'buy the model' thing that's been
> happening for the last 8 or so years. Have you seen some of the prices?
> Damn, my comp. must be worth a fortune...

Ever thought about how much work modeling actually is? Guess why sites like
ShareCG have mostly texture work for existing models, but rarely new ones.

People doing 3D just as a hobby beside a daytime job can afford to invest some
time into it without getting paid. But people who basically spend their whole
day doing nothing but modeling - well, they need to eat, don't they? So they
make a deal with people who can't model the thing themselves, or cannot (or do
not want to) invest the time it would take them, and know the value of saving
time.

For people doing 3D as a hobby, and working on a daytime job with an
N-hours-a-week contract, the "x" in the equation "time*x==money" probably not a
constant they are too familiar with. But when you make a living with 3D work
(wheter it is modelling or just using models), it might get a lot more into
focus.

Even if you are "only" a 3D hobbyist, but have a freelancing job that gives you
a lot of freedom how many hours a week you work, it will probably make you go:
"Hm, if I buy this model for $1.99, it will save me something like 4 hours of
tedious work now (with a much uglier result, and not to speak of time saved on
projects to come), so I can instead spend the time on my job to make another
(say) $199 (e.g. to buy another 100(!) models) - or invest this time*x==money
into improving other aspects of the scene."

Or, "hell, I have invested a whole week into modeling this thing, just for that
single scene. In that time I could have earned $1990.--; maybe someone might
have some use for it in a scene of theirs, and be willing to share this
investment with me."

Some people think that sharing on a free-for-free basis is the ideal thing (like
the concept on which ShareCG seems to be founded... officially); however, you
can't eat 3D models, however free they may be, can you?