POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Uh-oh! I think it's time... : Re: Uh-oh! I think it's time... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:19:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Uh-oh! I think it's time...
From: clipka
Date: 10 Jan 2009 13:45:01
Message: <web.4968e743ea83a9b9f3c0a050@news.povray.org>
"MGT Systems" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> I want it to come out of Beta... how long has it been now?
> Or at least one that doesn't expire would be nice.  What's the thinking behind
> that, anyway?

As far as radiosity goes, it still needs some work to get back to release
quality:

- 100% reproducability of rendering output hasn't been achieved yet.

- Radiosity internal parameters may still need some re-adjustment.

In addition, I want to get a good deal of improvement both regarding quality
(some of which has been achieved already, but there are still issues) and
performance (not much achieved here, despite promising approaches) before 3.7.0
gets released, because I fear it may be some time before we'd see a 3.7.1.

Other things still need some work, too. Caustics are still a problem, for
example. And there's a bump mapping issue that has been carried around probably
since the days of ancient Rome, which I hope someone will fix before the 3.7.0
release, because it requires some architectural change.

Regarding radiosity, I'd say two more months to go - if all runs smoothly. I've
made a lot of progress end of last year, but now RL is back on the scene again.

And even then, a lot of small details will still need cleaning up, and the
documentation has to be updated to include all the .ini parameter and SDL
language changes, possibly with a major edit of the radiosity-related portions.