POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Moonlight : Re: Moonlight Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:18:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Moonlight
From: Kenneth
Date: 3 Jan 2009 02:50:00
Message: <web.495f179097e56063f50167bc0@news.povray.org>
"Mike Hough" <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:
> Something odd happened with the snow on the volcano. It is a slope dependent
> texture and the radiosity makes it look like it is separate from the rest of
> the heightfield. I like how the smoke looks though.

Impressive!  I think the lighting and tonal qualities are *just right*--the way
our eyes would adjust to such a scene. The smoke is wonderfully backlit. A nice
design overall.

Yeah, there *is* a 3.6.1 problem with radiosity and media-in-an-object; the
media generates radiosity lighting on objects *outside* the box, but not inside
it. I can't really tell if that's your snow problem, though. Your box appears to
be intersecting the mountain, so there's bound to be a different look in that
area, just from the radiosity gaffe.

Here's a goofball idea for a workaround: Make a duplicate of the mountain HF,
translate it slightly upward, and difference-it from the box. That will create
a thin 'no-media' zone between box and visible HF, which should correct any rad
problems there.

Ken W.