POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Cabal : Re: The Cabal Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:12:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Cabal
From: clipka
Date: 2 Jan 2009 02:00:06
Message: <web.495dbb2f4e21d8cc5510c690@news.povray.org>
"RobF" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> This render took 6.8GB, mostly from the high resolution textures used on the
> characters. I experimented with both v3.6 and v3.7. The render took about 7h50m
> on v3.6. Surprisingly, the render took about 40 minutes with v3.7! On my Quad
> Core, I was only expecting a 4X increase, but it looks like there are some
> other cool optimizations in v3.7. There are a few radiosity artifacts in the
> 3.7 version of the image, but overall the two images are very similar.

I have found that it makes quite a difference whether I use the POV 3.6 Linux
binary, or the MegaPOV 1.2.1 Linux AMD64 binary - the is faster, despite having
the slightly more complex source code, so 64-bit optimized code gives some speed
advantage.

I also note that it makes a difference whether I compile the 3.7 beta with GNU
g++, or the Intel C++ compiler - again, the latter being faster.

So if you happen to be running the official Linux 3.6 binary, which is not
optimized for 64 bit and is compiled using g++, and the official Linux 3.7 beta
64-bit binary, which is 64-bit optimized and compiled with Intel C++, this may
account for quite some deal of speedup.