POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiosity Status: Giving Up... : Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:33:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up...
From: clipka
Date: 2 Jan 2009 01:05:00
Message: <web.495dae2dcd9d1e755510c690@news.povray.org>
> Funky. I'll have to take a look to see what they're doing. Back when
> efficiency was more a concern, compilers would go out of their way to avoid
> faster to draw lines with FP nowadays than to use Bresenham or something.

I wouldn't be surprised if, somewhere at the heart of my graphics card,
Bresenham would still be very much alive and kicking :)

But the main problem, back then, was that not every computer did have an FPU
after all. Even the 486 came without one in the SX variant. (Well, in fact it
came with one, but it probably had failed QC, so instad of throwing away the
whole die it got a fuse blown or some bonding wire not attached or what have
you to just disable the faulty FPU)