POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiosity Status: Giving Up... : Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:25:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up...
From: clipka
Date: 2 Jan 2009 01:00:01
Message: <web.495dac7bcd9d1e755510c690@news.povray.org>
> FWIW, I think you overestimate how many programs use floating point. :-)
> I think the vast majority of programs people use other than perhaps games
> and other graphics type programs don't use any FP at all. Why would
> Thunderbird (for example) use FP?

I guess you *underestimate* how many programs use floating point :)

You probably won't find any modern program with a graphical user interface that
doesn't use floating point numbers somewhere - if only because the GUI
frameworks happens to use a co-ordinate system that is rather independent of
the actual screen pixels, and therefore typically uses floating point values
for the co-ordinates. Or they have some calculation somewhere that uses a
non-integer interim result.

But maybe what you mean is trigonometric functions. These, indeed, may be not so
commonplace.